background

Friday, December 16, 2011

Keeping the CHRIST in Christmas!


As parents, Tommy and I would always try to keep Christmas focused more on Christ than the gifts that would be under the tree for our kids. It was difficult at times because, it really is fun to give! There were years we got carried away and years that we really hit a home run with the spiritual meaning of Christmas.

As I was buying my nephews and nieces Christmas this year, I felt like I really should be getting them something from the Christian bookstore instead of toys from Walmart. But let's all be honest - kids like toys much better and yes, this great aunt loves being "cool" with the kiddos. God showed me a way that the kids can open a really cool toy and focus on Him.

So here's a tip for all of us:
1. Look at the toys through spiritual eyes. Is there something in the Bible that will tie in with what you bought. (ex. slingslot brought to my mind David and Goliath).
2. Look up scripture that relates to the toy and write the reference on the gift tag.
3. Instruct the kids that they are playing a game - they have to read the scripture and guess what might be inside their package.
4. As kids read the Scripture this is a great time to talk about all the great things that God has done in the Bible and point them to the greatest birth ever!

If you need help coming up with some ideas for Bible lessons to tie to gifts - just email me at aheart4kids@verizon.net.

I pray that you and your family will have fun keeping the CHRIST in Christmas!

Heart4KiDs,
Mrs. Michelle

No comments:

Post a Comment